Talk about a rough week. It was the kind of week where I cried at work out of pure frustration. It was the kind of week where a run was the only thing that stopped me from murdering someone. It was the kind of week where on Thursday night I had a deep desire to cook but no inspiration at all. On days like this, where I am lacking culinary inspiration, I turn to one of two dinner options: brinner or casseroles. On days like this following a really bad week, I go for broke and make a brinner casserole.
I’ve actually made this casserole a few times, and it’s never let me down. The first time I made it was for Christmas brunch last year. I also made it the morning of my brother’s wedding. The thing I love about this recipe, and casseroles in general, is the versatility. You can easily adapt it based on what your mood or the food you’ve got in the house. It’s pretty much a no fail recipe.
Have It Your Way Breakfast Casserole.
- 20oz package of Real Potatoes shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 tube of breakfast sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 broccoli crowns, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 eggs
- ½ c shredded cheese
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc, to taste
Method to the Madness:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350o and spread the shredded potatoes in the bottom of a 9”x13” pan coated with non-stick spray.
- Bake the potatoes for 10 minutes. While potatoes are in the oven brown the sausage with half of the chopped onion.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and press down. Top with broccoli, remaining raw onion, and sausage.
- Combine the eggs, cheese, and seasonings in a separate bowl.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage and veggies
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
As I mentioned, this recipe really has a ton of versatility. The original recipe which I found on SparkRecipes called for mushrooms and red bell peppers. In the past, I’ve added spinach.
You could go for a Greek style breakfast casserole with spinach, olives, feta cheese or Mexican by using corn and black beans and topping with salsa. The possibilities are endless.