Here’s my problem with three days weekends: they seriously throw off my internal calendar. I was already to post today’s Make It Monday…then it realized yesterday was Monday. Oh well, a day late and a dollar short, story of my life right?
While we were in Lake Geneva, I ordered a BBQ pulled pork sandwich from this place called Popeye’s. (Side note: I highly recommend Popeye’s if you’re in Lake Geneva. It was outstanding, and the shrimp and lobster bisque is so rich and creamy; it’s to die for.) This confused the boy since I’m constantly going on about how I don’t like pork. Well, here’s my dirty little secret. I don’t like pork unless it’s bacon, my dad’s ribs, or BBQ pulled pork. Of course, once my dirty little secret was out, I was charged with making pulled pork at home.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
adapted from Crockpot 365
makes approximately 15 servings | 8 points+ per serving
A great dish for a final summer get-together, serve these on homemade pretzel roll or sandwich thins for a delicious sandwich or over mixed greens for a light BBQ style salad.
3 ½ pound boneless pork shoulder
1 large onion, quartered
2 cup Ketchup
1 ½ cup water
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ teaspoon hot sauce, divided
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
¼ cup corn starch
½ cup water
1. Add pork shoulder and quartered onions to the crockpot.
2. Top with ketchup, water, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and ½ teaspoon hot sauce. Stir gentle to combine/ blend.
3. Cover and cook on low for about 10 – 12 hours.
4. About 1 hour before serving stir in remaining hot sauce, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, and chili powder. Pork should begin to shred during stirring.
5. Combine corn starch with water and mix until dissolved. Slowly stir corn starch mixture into the crock pot. Cover and cook and additional 40 minutes to an hour. Sauce will thicken as it cooks.
6. Shred any remaining chunks of pork with spoon or large fork and serve.
Also, on Friday, I forgot to post my strength training schedule for this week. Better late than never, here we go:
Tuesday: CoreFusion – glutes and thighs (lower body)
Thursday: 10 Minute Solution: Target Toning for Beginners – Abs segment
Saturday: Upper Body from Smart Girls Do Dumbbells